Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Take Action

A fan of the Strong Prison Wive facebook group sent this in and I thought it was worth a share over here.
If you can would you post this for me Id appreciate it.


My husband has been incarcerated for about ten months now. He is facing a minimum sentence of ten years for a crime that does not deserve such a harsh sentence. My husband is non-violent first time offender but they will not take this into consideration because of Mandatory Minimum Sentences. He does not deserve to spend the next ten years of his life behind bars. In my opinion the time does not fit the crime. “Nothing else matters when you’re hungry and have a family to support.” This applies very well to him without getting into details I’m sure you can understand the meaning of this phrase. I am NOT justifying his actions I am well aware that he made a mistake and needs to face the consequences but the sentence is unfair. I am very active learning about his case and trying to do as much as I can to bring him home. This is why I beg I implore I ask that you please take the time to sign this petition. We have 41 days left and need at least 5000 signatures. Please take the time to read about it and educate yourselves about our criminal justice system. You really have to live it to understand how harsh and unfair our laws are. Having a loved one behind bars is devastating and I know some of you are or did experience it. Help put an end to unfair Mandatory Minimum Sentences. “Mandatory Minimums at the state and federal level have been a great mistake. I’m not convinced it has lowered crime, but I know that we have imprisoned people who should not be there. Let judges act as judges and make up their own mind about what should be done.” –Senator Patrick Leahy, Chairman of the U.S Senate Judiciary Committee. Check out the link below read about the petition and after decide if it’s worth signing or not. Also check out the movie Snitch that will hit theaters February 22, 2013 starting Dwyane “The Rock” Johnson. This film takes you on a journey and opens your eyes about Mandatory Minimum Sentences. Thank you for taking the time to read this God Bless You.

http://www.takepart.com/snitch/takeaction

No comments: